When it comes to choosing a leather bag, durability is a crucial factor to consider. Lambskin leather is known for its luxurious feel and soft texture, but is it durable enough to withstand the test of time? Let's explore this question and find out if lambskin leather is a reliable choice for bags.
What is Lambskin Leather?
Lambskin leather is derived from the skin of young sheep, known as lambs. It is highly sought after in the fashion industry due to its supple and velvety texture. The lightweight and delicate nature of lambskin leather make it a popular choice for high-end designer bags.
Is Lambskin Leather Durable?
While lambskin leather offers a luxurious feel, it is important to note that it is not as durable as other types of leather, such as cowhide or buffalo leather. Lambskin leather is more prone to scratches, scuffs, and tears compared to its sturdier counterparts.
However, the durability of lambskin leather can vary depending on the tanning and finishing processes it undergoes. Some manufacturers apply protective coatings or treatments to enhance its durability and resistance to wear and tear.
Factors Affecting Lambskin Leather Durability
Several factors contribute to the durability of lambskin leather:
- Thickness: Thicker lambskin leather is generally more durable than thinner variants. A thicker leather bag will be more resistant to scratches and punctures.
- Tanning Process: Proper tanning techniques can increase the strength and resilience of lambskin leather. Look for bags made from vegetable-tanned or chrome-tanned lambskin leather, as they tend to be more durable.
- Finishing: Some manufacturers apply protective finishes, such as top coats or waxes, to improve the durability of lambskin leather. These finishes create a barrier against moisture and stains, increasing the lifespan of the bag.
How to Care for Lambskin Leather Bags
To ensure the longevity of your lambskin leather bag, proper care and maintenance are essential:
- Avoid excessive exposure to sunlight: Prolonged exposure to sunlight can cause the leather to fade and become brittle. Store your lambskin leather bag in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Keep away from water: Lambskin leather is not water-resistant, so it is important to protect it from moisture. Avoid using your lambskin bag on rainy days or in humid environments.
- Use a leather conditioner: Regularly apply a leather conditioner specifically designed for lambskin leather. This will help keep the leather moisturized and prevent it from drying out and cracking.
- Handle with care: Avoid placing sharp objects or heavy items inside your lambskin leather bag, as they can cause scratches or deformations.
While lambskin leather offers a luxurious and soft texture, it is not the most durable option for bags. However, with proper care and maintenance, a lambskin leather bag can still provide years of enjoyment. Consider your lifestyle and usage patterns before investing in a lambskin leather bag, and weigh the trade-off between its luxurious feel and lower durability compared to other leather types.
Lambskin is classic core leather for most designer bags, all thanks to its velvet-like softness. But, once you invest in a luxury bag, you want it to stand the test of time.
So, keeping this in mind, we'd like to answer the query today, is lambskin leather durable for bags?
Lambskin leather, being softer and delicate, is not highly durable for bags- especially in comparison to caviar or calfskin, which prove sturdier and more lasting than lambskin. Nonetheless, with a little effort and care, lambskin leather can last for as long as 15-20 years.
Deciding on a branded bag is often a long-term decision, so you cannot take any risks. We are here to help you know whether a lambskin leather bag should be your ultimate choice. Here’s all you should know!
Is Lambskin Ideal Leather For Bags?
As the name suggests, lambskin leather is derived from young sheep hide. It is a finely-grained and lightweight material known for its characteristic soft texture.
The buttery-smooth feel of lambskin leather makes it an ideal choice for luxury bags, especially for Chanel handbags. However, this level of softness means lambskin is highly fragile and prone to stains and scratches.
Thus, lambskin leather falls short in durability than sturdier leather like calfskin or caviar. But, with regular care and proper maintenance, you can increase the longevity of your lambskin bag because no matter what, the luxurious nature of lambskin is always the best thing in a high-end brand.
How Durable Is Lambskin Leather For Bags?
Although durability is a primary concern with lambskin leather, it is still a popular material choice for most top-notch brands like Chanel, Dior, and Celine. The reason for lambskin's high demand lies in its unmatched softness.
Additionally, lambskin may not be as durable as caviar or calfskin leather, but it still is a good quality material and more durable than most other fabrics. When you care for it properly, lambskin leather bags can last up to 15-20 years- a decent period for a bag to last!
For a better idea, let’s rank the top leather for bags to see where lambskin stands!
- Caviar leather: most durable leather and stands well against scratches, wear, and tear.
- Calfskin leather: less durable than caviar but more durable than the lambskin.
- Lambskin leather: it ranks lower than caviar and calfskin leather but is sturdier than other materials.
What Makes Lambskin Leather Less Durable?
When planning to buy a designer bag, be it Chanel or Dior, one of the main concerns many have is what leather to choose. While every leather from these famous brands is un-compromised in quality and longevity, it is still good to know beforehand what you will get.
At this point, you already know lambskin leather bags are not super durable, but what are the reasons behind them? Let's dig into it!
Lambskin leather lacks thickness:
This soft material is pretty thin in comparison to other leathers. The absence of adequate thickness means it is sensitive to abrasions. As an outcome, the damage can quickly wear a hole into the lambskin leather and cause irreparable damage.
Lambskin is not water resistant:
This leather does not possess water-proof qualities, but various tanning methods can make it slightly water-resistant. However, regardless of the tanning method, lambskin leather bags should never be in contact with water.
If the leather gets exposed to water, it must be dried immediately to prevent water damage.
Lambskin is prone to scratches:
As you have already guessed, the fragile nature of lambskin leather makes it susceptible to scratches and bruises. An accidental harsh touch while opening the bag in a hurry will be enough to cause damage to it. It is one of the main reasons lambskin does not last as long as caviar or calfskin.
Lambskin requires proper care:
If you do not care for a lambskin leather bag properly, it cannot remain damage-free for an extended period. The lack of proper care can also make it much less durable than it originally was.
But, Feel relaxed, as looking after a lambskin is not as hard as May you think. You can easily find a wide range of products designed specifically for delicate leather handbags.
Please read our guide on how to care for lambskin leather bags for great tips!
Why Is Caviar Leather More Durable Than Lambskin?
You may already know that different kinds of leather have a different finishes. And caviar leather has a pebbled finish, making it much more hardwearing and durable.
Due to the pebbled quality, caviar stands firmly to daily wear and tear and holds the bag structure quite well because of its rigid nature. It will get small abrasions, but this will be minor and happen only after several years.
So, the sturdiness of caviar leather not only makes it more lasting, but bags made of this material requires minimal care and maintenance. On the other hand, lambskin is vulnerable to wear and tear under constant use.
After a while, you will see signs of wear on the corners and bottom of the bag. The overall leather is also highly likely to develop creases and scratches over time. Due to these differences, caviar appears to be more durable than lambskin leather.
But this shouldn't stop you from getting a luxury bag in lambskin material. You can keep it well-maintained and long-lasting by following a few care tips. So, do not lose hope!
Can You Make Lambskin Leather Long-Lasting?
We are happy to tell you that your lambskin leather bag can easily last up to twenty years when you treat it properly and maintain it.
Some of the most effective ways to make lambskin leather more durable include:
- Investing in products that are specifically designed for use on delicate leather bags.
- Storing the bag properly in dust bags and away from direct sunlight.
- Handling the bag gently to avoid unwanted scratches and abrasions.
- For lambskin leather bags used for many years, please send them to experts to restore and refresh their former appearance.
Regarding durability, lambskin cannot compete with caviar or calfskin leather. The latter are considered as much sturdier and long-lasting than lambskin. Its characteristic softness makes it prone to damage, especially with improper care.
Thus, after a while, lambskin leather bags might develop scratches, get stains or undergo discoloration. However, regular care can go a long way and help maintain the quality of your lambskin leather. So, don't hesitate to buy your dream designer lambskin bag at Redeluxe!